Questions to Ask a Specialist
You may also want to ask the interventional radiologist some questions to help you understand UFE as a procedure, and also to understand how the physician will manage your case. Some questions you may want to ask include:
- Please explain how you would coordinate my care with my OB/Gyn.
- Which OB/GYNs refer to you for UFE?
- How often is the procedure successful in treating uterine fibroids?
- Are your patients happy with the procedure?
- How often do complications occur? What are typical complications?
- How will I feel during and after the UFE procedure?
- Do you use Embosphere® Microspheres (the first FDA cleared embolic for UFE)? If not, why?
- How long should I expect to be away from work?
- What are the outside boundaries of this time period typically expected to be? (Normal minimum/maximum).
- How long should I expect to stay in the hospital?
- What kind of follow-up care is typical and who manages it?
- What typically happens to the fibroids after the blood supply is cut off? Should I expect them to be expelled vaginally or will the procedure simply result in my fibroids shrinking?
- Will my fibroids, or the symptoms of my fibroids, come back?
- Will I still get my periods after having UFE and what will they be like?
- Will my insurance cover uterine fibroid embolization?
- Can you help me determine if I am a candidate for UFE and when can we schedule the procedure?
What to Bring
Locate a Physician near you